Guest Post by Brian Gatley, CTO of Nexa1
If you use a server in your business, you depend on it. Whether for sharing files, serving applications, or just managing users and permissions, it is critical to the day to day function of your company. End of support for Windows 2008 servers is coming soon. Here’s what you need to know.
Windows Server 2008 R2 will reach end of life on January 14, 2020, and SQL server 2008 and 2008 R2 reach end of life on July 8 2019. What this means is that if you are running one of these servers, it will continue to function after the end of life date, but will no longer receive security updates.
The implications are far-reaching. If Microsoft doesn’t support Windows Server 2008, you can expect other software vendors to follow suit. No more anti-virus updates, no printer driver updates, major software vendors will stop supporting their legacy applications, etc. This really means one thing: It’s time to upgrade.
This is important stuff. Businesses running Windows Server 2008 may not realize the severity of using outdated software, but it’s critical to migrate. Microsoft has put together some excellent points I’d like to share.
The security and privacy implications of this event could have significant impacts on your business, so if you’re running Windows Server 2008 you should plan to take action soon. (If you remember WannaCry, it was spread through a file sharing vulnerability on unpatched systems. Considering that file sharing is both a core use of a server, and a primary method of dispersing malware, you would be well advised to stay current with your servers.)
- Microsoft ends support on Windows 7 & Server 2008 on Jan 14, 2020
- There will be no further patches or security updates and your systems will be at risk.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT FOR MY BUSINESS
- These unsecured systems can lead to data breaches, liability issues and more
- This is a red-carpet invitation to cybercriminals
- Cybercriminals find the systems that are no longer supported and exploit them
WHAT SHOULD I DO?
- Develop a budget & plan to replace or update your computers and servers before 2020
- Call us for an inventory evaluation
- Act now…time is moving fast and we want to help you before it’s too late
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- We offer managed service plans that will keep you up and running with the latest technology
- Peace of mind for all your IT, Technology, and security needs on a fixed monthly budget without the need for hefty out-of-pocket expenses
As a Microsoft Partner we have the resources to make sure your migration is successful. Whether it’s a custom built business PC from us, or a rackmount server from Dell, we’re here to help.
We’re able to assist with:
- New server procurement
- Software installations
- Computer Setup
- Data transfer, including system settings, user data, email data, etc…
- Training as needed
- Ongoing support
- And any other migration needs
Contact AeroCMS today and let us help you stay safe and productive.